Did you know that a well-designed destination patio can revolutionize your outdoor space? If you add outdoor lighting, an outdoor fireplace, and an outdoor kitchen, you can entertain long into the fall season in your backyard.
Patio and Proper Drainage
The first order of business is to correct any drainage problems where you want to put your new patio. Proper drainage is essential to ensure the longevity of your new patio. Patio pavers aren’t designed for water to sit on them.
Here are the consequences of building a patio on a poor drainage area:
- Mold, mildew, fungus, and plant growth will develop on your new pavers
- Your pavers may sink deep into the ground because the excess water will damage the subgrade material
- Poor drainage by your patio area may seep into a nearby landscape or lawn area, causing ponding on those surfaces
- If your destination patio is attached to your home, you may experience water going into your home due to drainage issues
- Conversely, you may also have puddles sitting by your home’s foundation, which can weaken it.
At Campbell and Ferrara, our drainage specialists can repair problem areas where water ponds before we work on building your new patio. Here are some techniques we’ll use to correct your drainage problems:
- We’ll install drains so water moves away from your home and patio
- We’ll build a strong foundation for your new patio
- We may allow a slight slope to prevent water pooling and redirecting it away from your patio.
Patio and Outdoor Lighting for Safety and Extending Your Evenings
Why add outdoor lighting to your destination patio? Because you want to instill a feeling of safety and security. Plus, you extend the evening with outdoor lighting, especially now when the days are shorter and the nights are longer.
Did you know outdoor lighting enhances an outdoor kitchen? Your outdoor kitchen can be lit like your indoor kitchen is, so you can see what you’re cooking, and your guests will feel comfortable talking around the kitchen bar.
Plus, you can enjoy your outdoor kitchen, dining area, and living room with outdoor lighting. You have choices with soft yellows and brighter lights depending on the function of each outdoor room.
Here are additional reasons to invest in outdoor lighting for your destination patio:
- Increases Your Home Value, by providing an essential feature that is both aesthetically pleasing and functional for your patio destination.
- It Provides Home Safety and Security because it eliminates tripping hazards and brightens your home to keep unwanted visitors away.
- You can use outdoor lighting to highlight favorite features, such as a pool, a waterfall, a putting green, or a favorite tree.
- Outdoor lighting provides a warm welcome to your guests when they enter your destination patio.
Patios and Cozy Outdoor Fireplaces or Fire Pits
Nothing says cozy and homey like an outdoor fireplace. It adds warmth, light, and a relaxing way to enjoy crisp fall, winter, and early spring evenings. You can set up your outdoor fireplace near your kitchen or where you’ll eat your meal.
Encourage your guests to snuggle by the outdoor fireplace when you add patio furniture that’s made to withstand the elements. You can find outdoor sofas, chairs, and other furniture that looks like indoor furniture—just sturdier and weatherproof.
Add throws and pillows so your friends and family can get comfortable and be mesmerized by the flames.
You need a fire pit if you prefer a patio where everyone sits together telling stories and roasting marshmallows. A fire pit with a curved seat wall provides the right combination for a lovely afternoon or evening by the fire.
Your new patio with an outdoor fireplace or a fire pit, can be built with natural stone, segmental block, or flagstone. There are many designs, and your landscape designer will help you choose the best materials.
Summing It Up
You can have the ultimate destination patio when you incorporate outdoor lighting, an outdoor fireplace or a fire pit, and an outdoor kitchen. These elements allow you and your favorite people to enjoy your backyard space well into the fall evenings.
Before our crews start building your patio, we can also fix any drainage problems in low-lying areas of your property.
Why Campbell and Ferrara Is The Right Choice to Build Your Destination Patio
If you want a destination patio for your backyard this year or even in 2024, call us today at 703-354-6724 or fill out our contact form. Our team will design and build your dream outdoor space that you’ll love.